Monday, July 21, 2008

Medical Update

So I was soo excited to be going to my follow-up appointment today. It had been a sort of finalization that I was longing for. I was excited about the news that I had gotten a few days before so this meeting was just to hear the good news in person and to hear what my options were at this point.
So Derek and I headed up to the city casually around 1pm. We got to UCSF pretty quickly and actually got in to see my doctor within 15 mins. That's what I call service!! hahaa
So with a look of relief on my doctor's face, he reiterated the happy news that I had gotten over the phone a few days before. That since the last scan back in April, the spot on my liver essentially hasn't changed, No growth, No spreading!! THANK GOD!! So, staying true to form, this is what I'd like to focus on in making the next decision in all this. Yes, more decisions to make regarding what to do now....

So the options are:
*simply leaving it alone and going back every 2 months for the next 6 months to vigilantly monitor this "spot"
*start a chemo treatment
*have the open surgery

He told me that there really isn't a wrong answer, just what I am willing to put myself through. What's my philosophy. (hmmm, sounds kinda deep huh?) Each option has it's uncertainties and/or side effects. For example, chemotherapy in my situation (a stage 2 colon cancer) would only increase the chance of curing it by 2%, so would I be willing to put myself through the potential side effects for such a small increase? The open surgery would physically remove the spot and surrounding tissue and we could test it to see what this spot is, however, remembering the fact that now in 3 months this "spot" has essentially stayed the same, it looks like most likely it is nothing. Do I then want to endure the potential risks that can occur from open surgery for what looks like nothing?

So I have finally come to the conclusion that the best thing for me right now is to just rescan in 2 months and see where I am at at that point. I figure that if in 2 more months this spot hasn't changed than I can feel confident that it isn't a tumor or anything serious. Of course I would continue to rescan regularly and continue to go from there.
So there it is...Wshhhooo...I am sure glad to come to that finality at least:) I guess I'm realizing that there is really never a guaranty with these things so I just have to have faith that I am strong enough to take it one step at a time. I physically feel great so I want to focus on that and continue on with life :) Sound good??

1 comment:

MorelloFamilia said...

Sounds VERY good!! So happy for you and this diagnosis!! I support your decision and will continue sending all my love and prayers. Faith rules! Let's celebrate on Friday!! xoxo