Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Accept the Challenge!

One life long goal that I've had is to participate in a marathon of some sort. To be honest it was one of those things though that I had verbally put out there, but always thought in the back of my mind that it wouldn't happen anytime soon. Always on the back burner. Wasn't very confident I would have the time to train, or would be able to get myself to performance level, in fact I don't think I even know what that means. What I do know, however, is that it would be an awesome accomplishment! One day....
Another life long goal of mine would be to be able to use my free time to volunteer and/or give back in some way. Get involved in community based work, non profit organizations, etc. Again, one day....
Well these days, I've been thinking about it a lot more. Considering where I'm at with my health situation, having extra time because I'm not working, and physically in fairly good shape, what is stopping me now?
After talking to a friend about wanting to attend an informational meeting for the American Cancer Society, she told me about a meeting that her sister was involved in for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society that very night. I took down the information and decided to go and check it out. I found out all about one of their annual fundraising campaigns, Team In Training. The Society's Team In Training (TNT) is the world’s largest endurance sports training program, providing coaching and support for people to cross the finish line at marathons, half marathons, triathlons and 100-mile cycling events. Over 360,000 participants have raised more than $850 million for lifesaving cancer research and to help blood cancer patients live longer, better lives.
So there it was, I had to do it. I joined Team in Training!! I signed up to train for a half marathon run in October!! Yep, that's right October...as in 2.5 months, a half marathon....as in 13.1 miles, run...as in I'm gonna attempt to run the entire thing....Yikes;) Well with all of that aside, this truly is a great organization. Not only will I be able to get into the best physical shape that I've ever been in, but I will be achieving a couple of life long goals of mine!! It's a win, win, win if you ask me:) Stay tuned for more info on how I'm getting involved and how you may be able to support the cause as well:)

No comments: