Saturday, August 23, 2008

2nd and 3rd Week of TNT!

So as of today, I have now completed three full weeks of Team In Training! I am still alive and kicking, and by kicking, I mean running! Ha-Ha-Ha! In the start of the second week, I had a couple minor issues like shin splints and knee joint tenderness. It would come on only once I got onto the trail and/or track. I of course brought this to my coaches attention and he recommended that I first get fitted for insoles and then stretch, ice and elevate as much as possible for the next few days. So I did as I was told and the next scheduled workout meet, I got onto the track and felt the twinging strain in my shins and a little in my knees. I went through the wave routine that the coaches had us do, and by the 3rd lap around, the tenderness in my joints started to subside. Ahhhh! After the run, I quickly got home to ice and elevate. That Saturday, I was back for more. I did a great stretch first thing in the morning and headed out to Almaden Lake Park where we all were meeting for another "Regional Run". Once again, withing the first few minutes, I started to feel the twinging in my knee and shin muscles. It slowed me down a little but I was able to find a comfortable pace. Kirk, my assistant coach ran along side me to the 2 mile mark and from there I turned around and headed for home base! I knew I needed to not push it and just do the 4 miles for the day. By the time I got back the tenderness had gone away again! I of course followed the routine of stretching, icing and elevating once I got back home and stayed off heavy impact activity for the rest of the weekend.

No comments: