Tuesday, November 4, 2008

MR. PRESIDENT...BARACK OBAMA!


Aahhhh! I'm elated! Honestly, I knew in my heart that Barack Obama would be our next president, but I couldn't help but hold my breath until the press finally announced the poll results. Until, it was official, I couldn't completely exhale. I tried to stay as close to the television as possible that day, to keep an eye on the numbers and the progression of the race. It was so exciting! Never before had I ever, I mean EVER, been so excited about a presidential race. Politics were never anything that I payed much attention to, and never really cared that much about. In fact, this was the very first election that I had voted in. I know, I know...! It pains me a little too that I never put the effort into getting involved. I do feel that as an American citizen, we are privileged with the right to vote in these elections, and that we should take full advantage of that right. Why I never did in the past?? I obviously didn't care as much. I had registered in the past, however, for whatever reason, never made it to the polls. This year was going to be different though, no doubt!

Derek and I hung out at home that night to make sure that we were up close and personal to watch the announcement of our new president! I made us a special dinner, pork chops and a salad with a bottle of one of my favorite white wines.

We had both TVs on in the house, tuned into two different stations. Current TV was playing in the living room where we sat. As soon as Obama had surpassed the number of electoral votes needed to win the election, there was a ticker that had stated that they announced the winner. Derek and I ran to the bedroom where ABC was reconfirming the win. We were sooo EXCITED!! We hugged and kissed and were grinning from ear to ear, starring at the TV...soaking up all the glorious news!


The rest of the night, we exchanged text messages and phone calls with family and friends, and watched closely at the 1st official speech of our next president....what a wonderful night it was...(EXHALE)!

No comments: